Thursday, July 10, 2008

Feature Album Review - Wild Beasts: Limbo, Panto

Photobucket

I never know what to expect from bands signed to or affiliated with UK record label, Domino but I have to admit, I’m very rarely disappointed. Newly signed four piece, Wild Beasts are no exception.

I came to the album with no clue as to what I was getting myself into. I sat down, pressed play on my CD player and came to some odd 40 minutes later.

Wild Beasts debut album, Limbo Panto had me mesmerised from the first minute right up until the last. So much so that if you had of asked me what I thought after that first listen I would have been at a loss to tell you.

Now that I’ve had time to break free from the spell I have to conclude that I adore it. The unpredictability coupled with the ingenious melodies and unique vocals make for a distractingly vivid listen.

I’ve often found myself preaching as to the importance of ‘the album’ and the way songs should fit and flow within their given context. Wild Beasts have created one of the most satisfying examples of an album that I’ve heard in a long time.

Limbo Panto is an experience, that much is for sure but if I had to distinguish certain tracks for individual consumption then I suppose I’d I have to go with songs like ‘Devil’s Crayon’, ‘His Grinning Skull’, ‘Brave Bulging Buoyant Clairvoyants’ and the stunning closer ‘Cheerio Chaps, Cheering Goodbye’.

There is very little I can honestly think to compare Wild Beasts sound but to experience their music is to be drawn into a world of dramatic performance, everything is heightened and overblown but in the best possible, most enjoyable way. I sincerely doubt this kind of record would appeal to the masses. It’s imperfect nature would just be too much for most to bare but I find it charming and recommend it to all who are brave enough to give it a go.

No comments: