Monday, April 21, 2008

Feature Album Review - Tapes 'n Tapes: Walk It Off




Tapes ‘N Tapes 2006 debut album, The Loon, was condemned by many for lacking in originality and depth. Now, a couple of years on, the Minneapolis boys have just released their sophomore album, Walk It Off, and I have a feeling this is the record that will have all those non-believers out there seriously rethinking their position.

Walk It Off is one of the more eclectic albums I’ve heard of late. There doesn’t seem to be a distinguishable pattern or progression to follow but for reasons unknown and best left unquestioned, the album doesn’t suffer for it one bit.

One of the things I find most charming about this album is its somewhat raw and organic sound. A quality I’m attributing to the addition of Dave Fridmann (ex Mercury Rev bassist) as producer. His low-fi approach to the project works far more effectively then I could ever have imagined.

The only real criticism I can offer of Walk It Off is the track listing. If I were listing to this one vinyl I have a feeling I’d only ever really be inclined to give side A a spin.

All of the real stand outs appear on the first half of the album - “Le Ruse’, ‘Time Of Songs’, the wonderfully distorted ‘Headshock’ and the even more wonderfully distorted but more up-tempo ‘Conquest’.

Tapes ‘N Tapes may have received there fair share of flack in the past but they also, justifiably, have a loyal and dedicated fan following. Neither The Loon nor Walk It Off were perfect albums but they both hold an amazing amount of charm and likeability, the kind which leaves the perfect amount of room for improvement.

It’s clear to me that Tapes ‘N Tapes best days are yet to come. And I for one am more then happy to tag along for the undoubtedly interesting ride.

If you’re a fan of unpolished indie rock, the kind that grows and breaths making for a listening experience then Walk It Off is definitely an album worth your time.

No comments: