Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Year Indie Rock Broke

I can't look at this photo without thinking of the Azaria who was a contestant on Popstars (ironic, I know) during the 90's, the Azaria who was at first praised for his individualism and eventually cut down by it's double edged sword. He was the first person in the mainstream media I felt I could identify with, and showed me that it was okay to be the loner kid who listened to "wierd" bands.
So will I hold The Follow in contempt now that they are in the public eye? No. I will not disown them if they find success or a new legion of fans via association, because good music deserves to reach a huge audience, no matter how disingenuous that audience is.
But will I cry myself to sleep at night, thinking of him with her? Goddamn right I will. Because he was mine, goddamnit.

4 comments:

tegaN said...

i just realised that i never found the time to put empty orchestra or smahed heart ep on my ipod, im going to go find the cd and do that now.
i have 2 of their zines and a strange fucking dvd they made that came with one that im going to go find too...
i will love them forever.

Unknown said...

Come on you know as well as i do that azaria is a penetrable entity owned by all

Anonymous said...

All this talk of penetrating Azaria...

*claws way across Azaria's body and implodes with sexual frustrations *

Anonymous said...

Azaria has never been anything that even remotely resembles a "loner".